We’ve all been there – finding the perfect outfit is hard enough, but add to that figuring out the best way to show off your body shape and you have an even bigger task in front of you. It’s easy to fall into the trap of feeling like nothing looks right, no matter how hard you try. However, it turns out that understanding what looks best on your body type is actually quite simple. We’ve put together some fashion tips that are tailored to your shape so you can look your best without having to panic next time you go clothes shopping.
The hourglass shape is one of the most widely considered the “ideal” body shape, as you have curves both on the top and bottom. When dressing, you should embrace your curves as much as you can and choose tight pieces in particular.
• Tight-fitting clothing: You should actively seek out clothing items that are tight-fitting since it will help to show off your curves. Think figure-hugging dresses, snug tops, and tight jeans. Elongating clothing items – like vertical stripes and tunics – are great if you want to show off your curves without being too tight.
• V-necks: Another key fashion tip for hourglass shapes is to look for clothing items with a V-neck. This neckline works well for hourglass shapes as it accentuates your bust, giving you a more balanced overall look.
• Try color blocking: Since hourglass shapes have curves above and below the waist, it’s a great idea to experiment with color blocking – that is, wearing two different colors above and below your waist at the same time. Contrasting the two colors creates definition and helps your waist stand out.
Pear shapes have a noticeable proportion difference between the waist and hips, which is why this shape is sometimes called a “triangle.” If you have a pear body shape, these fashion tips will help you to flaunt your curves.
• Choose high-waisted jeans: Women with pear bodies should opt for high-waisted jeans as this look slims down the waist, creating a more balanced overall effect.
• Flared and wide-leg pants: Flared or wide-leg trousers work well for pear shapes, as they help to give the illusion of a smaller waist. They also minimize the hip area, making it look more even.
• Pick fitted tops: As a pear, you know that you want to minimize the bottom half of your body, and one of the best ways to do this is to pair your pants with a fitted top. T-shirts and shirts are great, but you could also experiment with jumpsuits and dresses as well.
If you are an apple shape, your top half is bigger than your bottom half and you’re likely to have a larger tummy area. Here’s how to dress for an apple shape for the best results.
• Try belted clothing items: Belted clothing items help to give the illusion of a smaller waist, which is perfect for apple shapes as it helps to create a more balanced look.
• Look for vertical stripes: Vertical stripes help to extend your body, making it look longer and more toned.
• Add accessories: Adding accessories to your look is a great way to draw attention away from your midsection and create a more balanced look overall. Try layering jewelry, using a statement bag, or wearing a scarf – whatever you like that works best for you.
Also known as the “boyish” shape, the rectangle body shape is characterized by little to no difference between the waist and hips. If you’re a rectangle, use this advice to add to your look.
• Choose flattering necklines: Women with rectangle figures should look for clothing items with feminine necklines – think V-necks and scoop necklines, for example.
• Wide-leg pants are great: Wide-leg pants are perfect for rectangle shapes since they flatter your body by helping to create curves.
• Opt for structured jackets: To create the illusion of curves, opt for structured jackets or coats when choosing outerwear. This will break up the look of a rectangle shape and make you look more balanced overall.
You should now have plenty of good fashion tips to help you flaunt your body shape. Remember: always dress for your shape, rather than hiding it away. Put your fashion stress to one side and embrace your curves!
No matter your body shape, you can be sure to find the perfect outfit.